A Beacon of Welcome and Hospitality in the City of New York for 300 Years
Come Inside Our Sanctuary
Installed at First Church between 1893 and 1916, the memorial stained glass windows were the result of Dr. Howard Duffield’s vision to brighten the sanctuary. On the church’s north side, the windows depict “literary elements in the Holy Scriptures.” The south side’s windows reflect the interests of the donors, presenting historical figures who influenced Protestantism.
Throughout the sanctuary you will also find plaques and tablets in loving tribute to prominent members of our church community.
In 1893, the church began the installation of memorial stained glass windows along the north and south walls of the sanctuary. Designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, Francis Lathrop, D. Maitland Armstrong and Charles Lamb, the glorious windows were the result of Dr. Howard Duffield’s vision to brighten the interior of the sanctuary. On the north side, the windows depict literary elements in the Holy Scriptures, while those on the south side reflect the interests of their donors and highlight historical figures who influenced Protestantism. The corresponding balcony windows, designed concurrently and especially for each location, use motifs of each “named” window below.
Throughout the sanctuary are plaques and tablets in loving tribute to prominent members of our church community.